Monday Nov 12...


So many things have happened since this journey began on
October 25th. I can't believe all the decisions we've had
to make & all that will be coming.

Rich and I went for my pre surgery tests today..just two
vials of blood..and my nurse was so good..I barely felt
anything at all!!  Then on to the next place for 
chest X rays.

That took about 30 minutes from start to finish. woohoo, was that
good. We went for fruit smoothies cuz I couldn't eat today and
on to see the plastic surgeon
OH MY GOSH, his name is Glyn Jones, he's HANDSOME, and I thought he was
from the U.K, but I found he was raised in Zimbabwe.
(not a good pic of him)
Love his accent, his kind eyes , gentle hands and way
of making you feel lovely.

Rich said I'd have shown him my breasts even if he WASN"T a doctor.

ROFL, hubby is always hilarious!! and that is good .

So here's the deal . In the wee hours of Dec. 12th, ONE month from today,  I will go into
Order of St Francis Medical Center, at 7.40 AM I will received
my radioactive injection & about 2 hours later, my surgery 
will begin. 

Dr. Mammolito( here's a lil bio on her) will begin with a mastectomy, doing the lymph node biopsy
& then possibly doing a radical mastectomy (meaning taking the lymph nodes too)
This surgery should be about 1.5 hours

Then Dr. Jones team will take over for about 3.5 hours. Taking skin from my abdomen
to make a NEW right breast .  It's more than skin..it's muscle and fatty tissue..
Tis alot of surgery, anywhere from 3 to 5 days in the hospital,getting up the very next day, moving moving..keeping my strength and with meds and stocking and stuff to keep my legs from clotting.. coming home with tummy and 
breast drains and a catheter type pump with pain meds going in 24/7
and also an IV with meds too.  
The breast drains stay in about 5 days, the tummy drain 7-10 days.

I'll see the doctor on 12/20, so I have to get up and about. Hubby plans to take the 
day of the surgery off..and when I get home..he plans to take time off to 
take care of me AND his dad.  His decision to go back to work will depend on
my healing progress.

We counted the good things..
they are
1. New breast
2. Lift on the other breast
3. Tummy tuck..(thats where the new breast comes from)
4. Possibly curly hair after chemo
5. My eyelashes may grow back thicker.
6. Hubby has to wait on my 24/7 for a bit
7. I get out of all housework for at least a week.
8. I may loose weight

The bad things..we aren't counting, we ONLY want to look at the 
positives.

It's alot of surgery, but I think I need to make this the best it can
be ..get all healed, look younger and by Spring, I'll be gardening!!
I like that I'll have about 3 weeks to get ready for Christmas
and hopefully I'll be feeling little pain by Christmas. 
I hope to have my family here for Christmas breakfast.
 Life 
can change in the blink of an eye and you'll never see it coming. 
 I hope
I can be a help and comfort to others. 
I can't believe what 
great attitudes Rich and I have been keeping. I thank God for
my dear hubby and all my loving family and friends.
My bestest friends, Marcia, Michele & Sherry...you 
are my heart and soul and I love you all so much!!

I may not post everyday now..until closer to surgery unless there
is something new in the wind.  Please pray for us real hard
on 12/12  when I begin my transformation.

I'm in such good hands..with AWESOME doctors
and an AWESOME God!!
 Living in the hometown of
Susan Komen, where the Komen Foundation began.
praise God!!
fondly, Deena

0 comments:

Post a Comment